Mommy Hates Cooking

has been moved to new address

http://www.mommyhatescooking.com

Sorry for inconvenience...

Mommy Hates Cooking: Blueberry Smoothie

July 26, 2010

Blueberry Smoothie

We recently took a trip to a local blueberry farm, which was featured on, KOTV, Channel 6. Click on the link to see the story and the video.

We were able to pick several blueberries, along with the employees picking us several more blueberries. Which means, we left with A LOT of DELICIOUS blueberries!

I have been trying to think of recipes to include blueberries in and recently read about making smoothies with them. I had never really thought of using blueberries in a smoothie; however, I am not a huge fan of fruit so really most fruit does not sound good to me. Although, I thought this cold smoothie would be a brilliant idea for my teething toddler.

I blended 1/3 cup of fresh blueberries, 2/3 cup of rice milk, and a handful of ice cubes in the blender. If you would like a more creamy taste use nonfat vanilla yogurt, and you can also use regular milk with this. I prefer to use yogurt, but my son does not tolerate it well, so I avoided that. It turned out pretty well and more like a slushy without the yogurt. My son LOVED it. I gave him 1/2 a cup of the blueberry smoothie and as soon as he drank that he was begging for more. This will be a usual snack for us or breakfast item. I will be trying some some different fruits as well.
What kind of smoothies do you like? Any good fruit combinations?

Labels: , , , ,

6 Comments:

At July 27, 2010 at 7:51 AM , Blogger beth said...

does he eat bananas? I peel and halve bananas, then freeze them...they are great for making smoothies more creamy!
my recipe for a green smoothie(which the baby loves, too!) is here http://soonermomma.blogspot.com/2009/12/make-your-ownhealthy-smoothie.html

 
At July 27, 2010 at 12:55 PM , Blogger Mommy Hates Cooking said...

I'm going to try the banana in it today! Thanks for the tip, and I'll try the green one too. I have wanted to try that for a while but always have trouble with it being green :)! We are going to the farmer's market saturday so I will be getting some spinach then.

 
At July 27, 2010 at 7:24 PM , Blogger Mommy Hates Cooking said...

I tried the banana and it was great!!! Thanks for the tip!

 
At July 27, 2010 at 10:04 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

Gosh your kid eats so much better than mine do! I made pasta for Big E tonight and he cried for 3 hours b/c he didn't want to eat it!!! He eventually cried himself to sleep!!!

 
At July 27, 2010 at 10:45 PM , Blogger beth said...

great!
Tonight we made a smoothie with yogurt, banana, mango, and pineapple...tropical, and delicious!

 
At July 28, 2010 at 1:41 PM , Blogger Laura Jane said...

I second the bananas!

We also add POM juice- it gives a great taste and adds liquid to it if it's too thick.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home