Mommy Hates Cooking

has been moved to new address

http://www.mommyhatescooking.com

Sorry for inconvenience...

Mommy Hates Cooking: Turkey Burgers

July 22, 2010

Turkey Burgers

I recently found out that I have high cholesterol. We believe it is most likely hereditary; however, after reading all the side effects of cholesterol lowering medicines and natural vitamins to lower cholesterol, I have decided to try my best to control it without medicines. This is mainly because most of the labels warn against potential side effects for women in their child bearing years. It was too much of a risk for me.

With this in mind, I am trying to cook with more lean meats and less red meats. I have been advised to only have 2-3 4oz servings of red meat a week, and fill the rest of the week with turkey, fish, and chicken.
I decided to try turkey burgers as oppose to the usual hamburgers. I was pleasantly surprised.

I made the turkey burgers in the skillet. I added 2 egg whites and 1 package of dry ranch dressing mix to the ground turkey. I mixed it in a bowl and then made patties out of the meat mixture. I put those on the skillet and cooked the burgers until they were well done.
I used 1 lb of ground turkey which made 5 burgers.

We topped them with our favorite burger toppings and we had a quick, easy meal.

It actually did not taste much different than using beef. My husband was even won over by the turkey! Good thing, because his food life is going to be full of turkey!

Labels: ,

6 Comments:

At July 22, 2010 at 11:32 AM , Blogger Ember said...

Looks good! We have replaced most of our beef with turkey, it has made a big difference too. Chili, spaghetti, turkey tacos, etc. All taste delish too! We usually use french onion packets but I'm going to try your ranch packet idea!! Thanks for sharing!

 
At July 22, 2010 at 12:34 PM , Blogger Mommy Hates Cooking said...

I'll try french onion next time. I am planning to use turkey in just about all of my normal beef meals!

 
At July 24, 2010 at 9:18 PM , Blogger beth said...

Be careful with turkey...some ground turkey is just as fatty if not more fatty than beef...you have to get the extra lean or you are better off choosing beef! Also, turkey bacon is not good for you...full of sodium!
for turkey burgers, or burgers in general, I add spinach to the patty before I cook them...adds veggies, and we love spinach!

 
At July 25, 2010 at 7:11 AM , Blogger Mommy Hates Cooking said...

Beth- I noticed that at the store b/c I was looking at all the food labels. That actually shocked me that turkey could be so high in fat etc. We are using the extra lean...now if I could just find extra lean on sale that would be nice! :)

 
At July 29, 2010 at 11:45 AM , Blogger Ember said...

The best place to get the extra lean in bulk is at Sam's club if you have one close. It comes in 2, 2.5lb packs and its about 10 bucks. We break it up into lbs and freeze. Easy and good price. I find at the regular grocery store its like 5 bucks a lb!

Good idea on adding spinach to the patties! We will for sure try that!

 
At July 29, 2010 at 4:32 PM , Blogger Mommy Hates Cooking said...

Ember- I have been hearing really good things about Sam's meet, we have one close I just haven't been there in a while. I will go check it out and spinach sounds really good to add to them!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home