Mommy Hates Cooking

has been moved to new address

http://www.mommyhatescooking.com

Sorry for inconvenience...

Mommy Hates Cooking: Fettuccine Carbonara aka Penne Carbonara

July 30, 2010

Fettuccine Carbonara aka Penne Carbonara

This recipe was by far a keeper. My husband and I loved it. Let's just say he only got 1 bowl of this delicious goodness, and I ate 3 bowls! (Not in the same day, of course!)

The recipe was inspired by All Recipes Bertoilli Fettuccine Carbonara, however, I actually used a different brand of sauce. I had to stick to the lightest version of Alfredo sauce that I could find, and at the local store, Ragu was the lightest I found. I also used penne pasta instead of fettuccine, since that is what I had in my pantry.

The ingredients I used for this dish:

1 16oz Box of Penne Pasta
1 Tbsp of Butter
1 Cup of Frozen Peas
4 Strips of Cooked, Crumbled Bacon
1 16oz Jar of Light Ragu Alfredo Sauce
1 Tbsp of Minced Onion
1 Tsp of Garlic Salt or to Taste

I cooked the penne pasta as directed on the box, but I added 1 Tbsp of butter to the boiling pasta. I added in the 1 cup of peas about 3-5 minutes before the noodles were done. Once the noodles and peas were cooked, I drained the dish and set aside. Meanwhile, I cooked the bacon in a skillet until crispy and then crumbled it into small pieces. I also used a paper towel to get all the excess grease off the bacon. If you want to make it even more easy, just buy the precooked bacon crumbles in the grocery store next to the salad toppings.

I put the drained pasta and peas back into the stock pot, then I added the bacon, Alfredo sauce, onion, and garlic salt. Stir it well, and you have dinner! I topped ours with a little bit of mozzarella cheese as well. Adding a small side salad and garlic bread works well with this meal.

I really loved the frozen peas. I have read that using canned peas works as well, but the frozen peas were more crisp instead of being mushy like the canned peas would have been.

This will be a staple in our household as we all loved it even my son who likes to throw the food rather than eat it! He gobbled it up too.

Labels: , ,

6 Comments:

At August 1, 2010 at 10:04 AM , Blogger Laura Jane said...

That looks SO good! I'm going to try it out this week and I'll let you know!

 
At August 1, 2010 at 11:41 AM , Blogger Theta Mom said...

Ok, you may just be my new best friend. I HATE to cook - but like you, cereal doesn't cut it around here. So, my preferred method of cooking that I have blogged about a lot is what I like to call, "cut and dump."

If you share recipes like this that I actually probably could do without too much heartache, that would be a beautiful thing.

So glad you found me and welcome to TMC!!!

 
At August 1, 2010 at 12:57 PM , Blogger Mommy Hates Cooking said...

Theta mom- I'm glad you stopped by and I am glad to be apart of TMC!

Laura- It's really good! Let me know what you think.

 
At August 1, 2010 at 1:55 PM , Blogger beth said...

Yum!
I made an alfredo alternative recently here
http://soonermomma.blogspot.com/2010/07/cream-cheese-alfredo-sauce.html
Instead of using high fat cream, or storebought sauce, I made mine with a little butter, cream cheese(use fat free), milk, then a little parm & spices..it was fantastic! It only takes a few minutes to make it!

 
At August 1, 2010 at 4:30 PM , Blogger Mommy Hates Cooking said...

Beth- I've actually made a sauce just like that many times, but it never seems to keep for leftovers. The cream cheese always hardens and then it doesn't taste good when I reheat it. I haven't used butter though with it, maybe that would help. My hubby loved this one b/c it tasted good reheated. Everything I fix, he doesn't actually get until the next day since he isn't home for dinner time.

 
At August 1, 2010 at 8:56 PM , Blogger beth said...

oh, yeah...leftovers! When I made that sauce it did reheat fine...maybe a little dry, but sometimes we'll add a bit of italian dressing if so...

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home