Mommy Hates Cooking

has been moved to new address

http://www.mommyhatescooking.com

Sorry for inconvenience...

Mommy Hates Cooking: Bagel Failure

September 29, 2010

Bagel Failure

I write this blog to share my good and bad experience of learning to cook.  Lately, I've had nothing but success it seems.  The recipes I have been whipping up are very tasty and easy!

Let me say this, the bagels were not easy, fast, or tasty!  I am actually fairly certain I lost 6 hours of my life that I will never get back trying to make homemade bagels.  Meanwhile, in the back of my mind I keep telling myself, I could get a bag of bagels for $1.50 at the store, that are ready to eat!  What fun would that be though?  Umm...much more fun than my experience!

I tried 3 different recipes, all of which did not turn out.  I put aside my need to improvise and change up recipes and followed them exactly because I wanted these to turn out.  None of them turned out.

I should have known better, when I opened up the package of yeast it jumped out at me!  Really it did.  I had yeast EVERYWHERE!  I have no idea how it flew out of the package but it was all over the place!

It seems the hardest part for me was shaping the bagels because the dough was hard to work with being that it stuck to my fingers.  I thought the last batch was actually going to turn out, but they were shaped like bagels with no taste.  My husband was brave enough to try one, I did not!

In the end, I have learned to leave the bagel making to the experts and stick with breads, muffins, pancakes, and waffles!

Labels: ,

6 Comments:

At September 29, 2010 at 6:21 PM , Blogger Jen @ Canadian Rhapsody said...

I've found that yeast gets pretty static-y, so it probably was attracted to all of the 'charges' outside of the package. Nothing scientific about that opinion though!

 
At September 29, 2010 at 6:25 PM , Blogger Mommy Hates Cooking said...

You are probably right! It was all over the place, fast!

 
At September 29, 2010 at 7:34 PM , Blogger Laura Jane said...

I can't believe you even attempted to make them from scratch! You crazy girl! Funny story, though. =) I bet you try to tackle it again.

 
At September 29, 2010 at 7:38 PM , Blogger Mommy Hates Cooking said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

 
At September 29, 2010 at 7:38 PM , Blogger Mommy Hates Cooking said...

Laura- If I do it won't be for a very long time! Haha!

 
At September 30, 2010 at 9:41 AM , Blogger beth said...

I make homemade bagels all the time...I have never had a problem with them...sorry yours didn't turn out. Maybe you should try again.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home